Homestead Publishing specializes in high-quality, reasonably priced trade book editions. Our titles include fine art, design, photography, and architecture; full-color nature books; national park guide books; cookbooks; biographies and literary fiction; Western Americana; regional and international travel guides—including Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier-Waterton and Banff-Jasper national parks; and a line of posters; postcard books and notecards. We accept unsolicited manuscripts in each of these subject areas, especially outdoor guide—hiking, climbing, bicycling, canoeing, mountaineering—and travel books. But to gain a better understanding of our publishing program, please examine our books in a bookstore, library, a Homestead Publishing catalog, or on our website.
Outlined below is the basic procedure for submitting manuscripts and proposals. While by no means are all of the steps mandatory, bear in mind that it is your vision you are presenting to us, so it is best to present the most succinct, clearest and professional information and presentation to help us to visualize your project. Please send us copies of your material, but keep the original for your records. (Please note, we do not accept proposals on disks, over the Internet, or by fax.) If you wish to submit a book proposal to Homestead Publishing, please include:
- A cover letter detailing the work as a whole—include any and all information that you think we should have in order to make a decision about your project. In particular, be sure to tell us who your target audience is, and why.
- A market analysis of the potential readership for the book, including title, publisher, and date of all similar books, with an explanation of how your book differs from similar published titles.
- A chapter-by-chapter outline of the entire work—including outline, introduction, illustrations list and sample captions.
- One or two sample chapters—whatever you consider to be enough material to give us a sense of the work as a whole. The text/sample chapters should be approximately 30 pages of text. If you are submitting a cookbook or similar proposal, include a list of recipes, or similar descriptions, plus at least ten sample recipes with headnotes in addition to the information described above. It is not necessary to send the entire manuscript.
- Author/illustrator/photographer biography or a note describing who you are and why you are the right person to write this book. Please include publishing credits and credentials in your field of expertise.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope (sase) with sufficient postage for the return of all of your material. Without this, we cannot return your materials to you.
Do NOT send originals of anything. We are not liable for artwork or manuscript submissions.Please address all submissions to:
Moose, Wyoming 83012
- Do familiarize yourself with our published list before submitting your manuscript.
- Provide a rationale for why we are the best publishing house for your work.
- If you are not sure which publisher would be best for your proposal, there are sources available. One is a Writer’s Market, available at most libraries and bookstores.
Thank you for your interest in the publications of Homestead Publishing. We look forward to reviewing your proposal, initial query letter, or completed manuscript, but please remember that it may take up to three months for the editors to review it.Homestead Publishing
Moose Wyoming 83012
4388 17th Street
San Francisco, California 94114